The PR world is always evolving. It is one of the many reasons that I love working in it. At Berkeley PR we have recorded fabulous levels of growth both in terms of turnover and staff which is always pleasing but each has brought their own issues.
Change can be exciting, but is often also painful if not managed properly.
My business mentor, Noel Penrose, recently shared with me some key principals in managing change and I thought I would share with you my top five from the list:
- Confront the reality of the situation
- Understand the barriers to change and address them
- The change concept starts at the top, but real change begins at the bottom
- Create ownership with your team, not just buy-in
- Be ready for the unexpected to happen
These fundamentals have helped me shape my thinking over the past couple of months and however simple they may sound, I believe they are 100% right.